Monday 14 May 2012

My discoveries so far

As Roast has said previously, our community has worked on a few projects together in our time. For one of these it was Roast and I taking up coding, although not much got done that time.
With Magical Schoolgirl Love Tale, I'm experiencing a completely different side to the creation of a project. Whereas previously my projects were producing something simple (a Dragon Quest-like RPG game, randomised loot generator) this is something much more complicated. For me, not in the coding (Roast is handling much of that at the minute), but in the plot.

We knew Act 1 was going to be the greatest challenge. Deciding how the protagonist is brought into this school, how they spend their time there while not on any particular route. Choosing how the actions the protagonist takes influences what they do after Act 1. Planning the triggers and calculations for events and routes.
That said, I believe that from here the planning will get easier. The individual routes are likely easier, due to us being able to decide upon the number of endings, rather than requiring an output corresponding to each of the routes.

The script is coming along nicely. I work full time but I normally try to get out at least 1000 words each day. We've passed the 5000 word mark in the design doc script and likely have more than that in the actual game file, due to Roast translating my prose into something more suitable for a Visual Novel.
Progress is being made. Neither of us have mentioned any form of ETA and it is going to stay that way, likely for a rather long time. We cannot give a final word count. We cannot give a final play time. We can only continue working on what we have, enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment